Instructional Techniques for the Virtual Classroom
Skills for leading online learning.
Public Workshop Schedule (please contact FKA to have this workshop run at your location)
Click on a Workshop below to register.
Number of Upcoming Workshops: 3
Online – Starts: October 21, 2014 – click to see Live Session Schedule
Online – Starts: April 7, 2015 – click to see Live Session Schedule
Online – Starts: October 6, 2015 – click to see Live Session Schedule
More and more training is being delivered online each year. If you want to set yourself apart as one of the best virtual trainers, this is a great place to start! Whether you are a new instructor or just new to the virtual classroom this program prepares you to deliver engaging and interactive learning in the virtual environment.
This dynamic program is delivered online exposing you to a variety of interactive techniques and activities that model best practices in a virtual classroom environment. You will have plenty of opportunity to apply a systematic learning process, adult learning principles, and online instructional techniques. You will present three online lessons, based on your work-related content, and receive feedback from our CTT+ Virtual Classroom Trainer certified instructors as well as recordings of your lessons for personal viewing.
You will experience the virtual classroom from both the learner’s and instructor’s perspectives.
Who should attend:
- New or relatively new instructors, or instructors who have never participated in any formal train-the-trainer programs
- Experienced instructors who are new to the virtual classroom
- Instructors NOT seeking CompTIA CTT+ Classroom Trainer certification at this time.
6 Key Benefits:
- Participate in an online program that models all the best practices for keeping remote learners motivated and engaged.
- Small groups ensure you get opportunities to practice with the technology, individual attention and expert feedback.
- Establish a solid grounding in the delivery basics using the technology available and build your confidence and skills from there.
- Receive a comprehensive manual that supports effective adult learning during the online sessions and will be a valuable reference after the program.
- No travel for you and only a few short blocks of time away from your job.
- Free one-year consultation service if you have questions after the workshop ends.
- Characterize instructional strategy choices.
- Apply Adult Learning Principles in the virtual classroom.
- Use learner-centered lesson objectives.
- Describe and apply the Systematic Learning Process.
- Identify choices in implementing the Systematic Learning Process.
- Use voice effectively.
- Establish and maintain a positive learning environment for the virtual classroom.
- Capture and maintain learner interest in a live session.
- Encourage participation.
- Use an inclusive communication style.
- Apply listening skills.
- Test for understanding during presentation.
- Apply questioning skills to promote participation and learning.
- Plan how to make effective use of instructor notes for virtual classes.
- Describe how to support asynchronous activities.
- Provide constructive feedback orally and in writing to the remote learner.
- Recognize and resolve behavior problems with remote learners.
- Capabilities of the Virtual Classroom
- Focus on the Learners:
- Adult Learning Principles
- Lesson Objectives
- Systematic Learning Process
- Instructional Strategies
- Implementing PAF
- Connecting by Voice
- Keeping Learners Engaged
- Variety of Presentation Methods
- Responsibilities and Skills of the Virtual Trainer
- Establishing the Learning Environment
- Group Process
- Managing the Task Component
- Monitoring Tools
- Communication Styles
- Listening Skills
- Questioning Techniques and Logistics
- Testing for Understanding (TFU)
- Question Levels
- Aligning Objectives ad TFUs
- Questioning Process
- Verbal Behavior
- Handling Difficult Situations
Applying What You Learn
- Up to three individual practice online lessons each
- Instructor Notes Template
- Adult Learning Principles
- Systematic Learning Process Checklist
- Action Verbs
- Choosing/Adapting Presentation Methods
- Tips for Effective Online Demonstrations
- Question Logistics
- Guidelines for Using Media Effectively
- Communication Skills
- Voice and Language
- Voice Analysis Checklist
- Verbalizing Transitions
Types of Verbal Behavior
This program is made up of:
- Pre-course assignments
- 8 live facilitated online sessions (1 to 2.5-hours long)
- Assignments between the online sessions
Online Workshop – 8 Live Sessions – $2099.00
A multi-week program with scheduled group sessions.