developers, designers and trainers.”
Cathy Overbay, Bell South Advertising & Publishing Co.
Solid Instructional Design foundation for performance improvement. Now also available in French! Ateliers en francais
- Who should attend
- Six Key Benefits
- Program Objectives
- Content Outline
- Optional Add-on – Coached Learning
Public Program Schedule (please contact FKA to have this program run at your location)
Click on a Program below to register.
Number of Upcoming Programs: 5
Ottawa: March 5, 2018 – March 7, 2018
Toronto: May 7, 2018 – May 9, 2018
Ottawa: July 16, 2018 – July 18, 2018
Toronto: September 17, 2018 – September 19, 2018
Ottawa: November 5, 2018 – November 7, 2018
Challenged with creating and designing successful training programs? This cornerstone program is for anyone wanting to design learner-centered programs that lead to performance improvement and business results. You will gain the requisite knowledge, skills and confidence to meet the challenges of any learning initiative. Experience a variety of interactive presentation and application methods that support effective adult learning. Take home a detailed support manual including access to online checklists and templates to help transfer your learning to back-on-the-job success.
Who should attend:
- Instructors and subject matter experts who are new to course design
- Managers and those responsible for the creation or purchase of learning materials
- Course designers and developers, with no formal design experience, seeking a systematic approach to instructional design
- Subject matter experts responsible for updating or modifying existing custom or off-the-shelf courses
Six Key Benefits:
- Build all your design projects on a strong instructional design foundation that goes beyond ADDIE while supporting an agile approach.
- Forecast design time and program launch dates with confidence.
- Practice the key activities for project planning, population and performance analysis, training design and material development.
- Return to work ready to start designing – there’s no risk of getting bogged down trying to adapt complex theories.
- Take home a comprehensive support manual packed with job aids and reference materials that will help you succeed with future design projects.
- Take advantage of free one-year support to help you with your next design project.
- Identify key sign-off points.
- Choose population factors for analysis.
- Gather data from subject matter experts.
- Develop a Model of Performance.
- Derive objectives based on the Model of Performance.
- Design tests and exercises to be used during learning programs.
- Confirm instructional strategies.
- Outline bridging strategies.
- Apply principles of adult learning to design.
- Determine the best content sequencing for learning.
- Select presentation and application methods.
- Select instructional media.
- Develop a lesson plan.
- Select appropriate styles for participant and instructor manuals.
- Make media decisions that enhance learning.
- Plan validation activities throughout the project.
- Describe how the impact of the learning program can be evaluated.
- Identify design shortcuts.
- Design Fundamentals
- Systematic Learning Process
- FKA Instructional Systems Design Methodology
- Adult Learning Principles
- Needs Identification
- Determine Needs
- Plan the Project
- Instructional Strategies
- Population Analysis
- Selecting Population Factors
- Data Collection Decisions
- Summarizing Results
- Handling Diverse Populations
- Performance Analysis
- Model of Performance (MoP)
- Gathering MoP Data
- Working with Subject Matter Experts
- Training Scope
- Meeting Time Constraints
- Reducing the Training Scope
- Training Outline
- Objectives and Tests
- Performance Gaps
- Bridging Strategies
- Application and Feedback Methods
- Presentation Methods
- Learning Styles
- Test for Understanding
- Training Plan
- Training Plan Decisions
- Developing a Lesson Plan
- Updating Work Plans
- Instructor and Participant Manual Development
- Selecting Most Appropriate Formats
- Media Development
- Purpose of Media
- Media Guidelines
- Validation: Assuring Quality
- Key Sign-off Points
- Validation with Learners
- Detecting Problems
- Making Validation Effective
- Evaluation: Measuring Training Impact
- Levels of Evaluation
- Design Ratios
- Ideas for Shortcuts
- Hands-on activities to reinforce the major design steps discussed in class
- 180+ page Support Manual filled with checklists, look-up tables, worksheets and templates to help you design effective training faster
- Online access to these checklists, look-up tables, worksheets and templates so you can customize them for your own situation
Optional Add-on – Coached Learning
After completing this program you can work one-on-one with one of our instructional designers on your own instructor-led design project. Virtual meetings and asynchronous feedback make it convenient; we can provide as much support as you need. Your project could even count towards our Professional Designer certification. Call for pricing and more information.
Three days – $1799
Online – $2499.00